Mint candy is refreshing, sweet, and a wonderful way to enjoy a quick treat.
This is why a lot of people will keep mint candies nearby when it is time to satisfy their sweet tooth. While this is great for those who love candies, you might wonder, can dogs eat mint candy?
Dogs cannot eat mint candies. The mint itself is poisonous to dogs and can lead to severe symptoms including nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, and possible death.
These candies are also a choking hazard for dogs.
This is why it is best to avoid giving mint candy to a dog. It’s the only way to make sure your dog doesn’t get poisoned as that can be dangerous right away.
This article will take a look at the reasons why mint candy is bad for dogs and why it should not be given to them as a treat.
Best Treats For Dogs (EDITOR’S CHOICE)
- Inspired by the taste, texture and aroma of perfectly grilled food
- Real USA sourced beef as the number one ingredient
- No corn, wheat, soy or animal by products
Last update on 2021-07-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Reasons To Not Give A Mint Candy To A Dog
Mint candies are toxic for dogs.
This means even one candy will do a lot of damage. You have to be careful when it comes to giving mint candies to a dog as it will find hard to digest the candy.
This can lead to all sorts of symptoms including nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, and more.
Dogs are not supposed to eat peppermint and it can be highly toxic for them. This is why any type of mint candy is not going to yield good results and will cause an immediate setback for their digestive system.
Since dogs are eager to eat anything that is put in front of them, they might try to do the same thing with mint candy.
If the dog eats mint candy, it is going to have an adverse reaction that can be fatal. This is one of the main reasons for not giving mint candy to your dog.
2. Choking Hazard
Let’s assume the dog walks up to a bowl of mint candies and takes one.
This can happen if you are not careful. Unfortunately, you will also have to worry about the choking hazard associated with mint candies on top of the toxicity. This is why mint candies should be stored out of reach for dogs.
This is a must.
If the dog takes a bite, it is going to swallow the mint candy whole. This is incredibly dangerous as it will get lodged inside the dog’s throat making it difficult to breathe. This is the last thing you want as a dog owner.
Most dog owners think about the toxic nature of mint candies but forget the shape of these candies.
They are small and can get lodged in the dog’s throat.
This makes it difficult for the dog to swallow anything else and/or breathe. When this happens, your dog could end up choking, which can lead to death.
As a result, you should always be careful and avoid giving mint candies to dogs.
3. Too Much Sugar
While the main issue has to do with mint being toxic to dogs, you also have to think about the sugar content in these candies.
They are jam-packed with sugar and that is a serious concern.
Dogs should not be having a lot of sugar and especially when it comes from candies. This is processed sugar that is going to ruin the dog’s health over the short and long term.
Any type of sugar is bad for dogs and can have a terrible impact on the dog’s health.
You will want to avoid mint candies due to their toxicity but this is another reason why it is bad for dogs.
1. Can A Dog Eat Mints Safely?
Dogs cannot eat mints safely. Some mints use peppermint, which is dangerous to dogs and can lead to severe gastrointestinal issues. It’s best to avoid giving mints to dogs to ensure they don’t suffer from symptoms such as nausea, stomach aches, vomiting, and/or general discomfort.
2. Can Mints Kill Dogs?
Mints can kill dogs if they have peppermint and/or xylitol in them. These ingredients are highly toxic to dogs and can cause an adverse reaction involving nausea, vomiting, pain, and/or fatigue.
Can dogs eat mint candy?
Mint candy is not good for dogs and should not be given to them. Even in small quantities, these candies can be harsh on a dog’s digestive system leading to symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and/or stomach pain.